Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy belated 8th Birthday Dakota :)

Dakota turned 8 years old on December 30th. I can hardly believe I've been a mom for 8 years. :)

David had to work on his birthday which was hard for Dakota but I still tried to make the day a special one. :) I woke up extra early on his birthday to make him homemade yeast doughnuts. He was so excited when he came downstairs to see them waiting for him to decorate however he would like to. :) I made one into an "8" and I also made a little boy doughnut that he decorated to look like himself. :)

I usually try to control and limit the amount of sprinkles my kids put on there baked goods (of course they will put as many as they can) but on his birthday I let him use the whole jar of sprinkles. He had a blast using them all too. I learned that it really wasn't a big deal for him to use them all and the joy of seeing him decorate that "8" doughnut was very memorable for me. He had a ball eating that inch thick sprinkled high doughnut too. :)

All of the doughnuts we had fun making together (Wyatt even decorated a little one). We used a plain glaze and chocolate plus of course sprinkles. :) I made the sign behind Dakota's head. Very last minute and homemade but he LOVED it! He wants me to hang it in his room. Another lesson learned by me is the thought really does count when making a birthday special for a child. They don't care if something is purchased or just homemade by mom. :)

His dinner was yummy friend chicken and loaded mashed potatoes with gravy. Yum yum!! :)


My junior beekeeper. :) Dakota was very excited to get his own bee suit. Now David has a helper with his bees this spring. I'm glad I don't have to be the helper now. :)


We waited to do Dakota's birthday cake until David could be there to join us. After many different cake choices he decided on one of his favorite kinds of cake... cheesecake. I tried out a new recipe for a Rocky Road Cheesecake. Dakota loved the new recipe and I have a great new recipe for a chocolate cheesecake. Good choice Dakota! :)

8 things I love about Dakota:
1. His big smile (he brightens my day by that smile)
2. His love for reading (last quarter in school he read 99 books for his AR program which totaled to over 100,000 words... I am very proud of him plus he's reading at a 4th grade level.)
3. His amazing ability to hunt (he provided our family with 2 does this last hunting season)
4. Your new love for drama (acting that is... we've been practicing our fainting, choking, the death scene after being shot, and having a ball together. We want to put on a short play this coming year.)
5. Your joy in cooking and baking with me. I love sharing our time together in the kitchen.
6. Watching you be a great big brother. You are so patient with your little brother Wyatt. You have such a good time playing outdoors with your brother and your sister. You are so cute making your baby sister laugh.
7. I love your silly personality. You have become quite the little joking man and you know when you are being funny now too. ;)
8. I love the close father and son relationship that is growing between David and Dakota. The two of them have a lot of fun together and seeing the special bond between them both just makes my heart smile! :) The little jokes and looks the two of them share are just priceless. :) They are best buddies and I love it. :)

1 comment:

Quiana said...

Awww looks like he had a wonderful birthay! What awesome sprinkles too ;-) Seems like it was just yesterday that I was holding him as a newborn. I know that will be me soon enough . . .